Tuesday, April 3, 2018

Questions Questions

We;re in the second half of our writing class, and already there's a new story draft. I was told to reflect on it a little bit, so I shall, but it will be very straight forward.

Pre-Workshop Questions: 
1. What's working in the draft and why do you feel that it's working?
     Nothing really. Perhaps the visuals, because I always do at least a little good at visuals. I'm an artist first and foremost and it's easy to paint picture in my mind. Transferring it to words is the hard part, but over the years it's become second nature.

2. What needs improvement in the draft and why do you feel that it's not working?
      Perhaps actually caring about the draft itself? The first story for the semester had only a little heart put in it, and this one has even less (as in, no heart. I don't care about it at all.) The character is wholly uninteresting to me, and the conflict doesn't speak to me at all either. If it did, I think I'd be more invested in stretching out the narrative and exploring some more scenes to let the audience get a feel for the protagonist more (and perhaps improve the writing itself, because while visuals are somewhat cool, describing feelings or conflict is not).

3.  What are the questions you'd like the workshop to address about the story?
              I have no idea. I know it sucks. Maybe please point out to me how I might make the plot more interesting? Gimme some real life inspiration.

4.  What is the story about? What's the main character's internal conflict in your story? 
        A young teen goes behind her father's back to buy her late grandmother's old dirt bike. She fantasizes about riding it down her own secret hill only to find it's not so secret at all.

5.  How's the draft challenging your writing?
       I still have no idea. Like I said, no heart. Maybe it's challenging me to write when I have literally no hoots to give.

Being an Editor Questions:
1.   List 2-3 things you plan to improve in the feedback you give in Workshop #2?
        I won't hold back in what I think may be wrong or try not to hurt feelings. I just waste time looking at the computer screen that way. That's pretty much it. Maybe include more writing 'keywords'."
2.  Detail 1-2 goals for you as an editor for Workshop #2?
      Finish the actual workshop according to the guidelines.

No comments:

Post a Comment